Children & Youth Faith Formation
The Fine Print:
Please note that all Sacrament classes are now weekly on Sunday mornings as opposed to every other week.
- Family Catechesis is for K-5th grade. We are using a Family of Faith by Sophia Institute.
- Meets twice a month on Wednesday evenings from 6:15-7:30pm
- 1st meeting Parent gather in Bamberg for Parent session & Children attend classes according to their grade
- 2nd meeting of the month is done all together in Bamberg Hall (This is a family activity to go with the months lessons)
- Meetings are typicially the 1st and 3rd Wednesday of the month (See calendar for exact dates)
- Monthly parent sessions where we explore the current month’s lesson and goals together
- Parents teach at home with guidance such as parent book, PowerPoints, other resources provided
- Family groups for community building and support
- Mass attendance is important
- 6th Grade will have a new class about Theology of the Body. We will use curriculum by Ascension Press.
1st Reconciliation/1st Communion Prep/Sacrament 1
- Meets Sunday Mornings from 8:30-9:45am weekly (see calendar for exact dates).
- It is a two year program that begins in 1st grade and students receive both their 1st reconciliation and 1st Communion during the 2nd year (typically 2nd grade).
- Those who are in 3rd grade and older but have not received their 1st reconcilation/communion will be placed in Sacrament 1.
- 1st graders must be enrolled and parents/families must be actively participating in Family Catechesis to move onto 2nd year prep.
- Curriculum used for 1st year 1st communion is Be My Disciples by RCL Benziger. Curriculum used for 2nd year 1st communion is Signs of Grace by Augusting Institute.
- On weeks when classes do not meet, parents will be guided on providing the lessons at home.
A Note on Confirmation
- Confirmation will not be looked at like “Catholic graduation”
- Receiving the sacrament at a younger age would equip our youth to advance through adolescence into adulthood with the gifts of the Holy Spirit
- Confirmation at an earlier age would allow them to live out the newly Confirmed to “live out” their Confirmation through meaningful ministry in our own parish in their high school years.
1st Year Confirmation
- Meeting weekly on Sunday mornings from 8:30am- 9:45am.
- 1st year Confirmation is 7th grade.
- Sacrament 1 is for students in 8th-11th grade who have not been enrolled in 1st year Confirmation.
- Our curriculum will be Chosen by Ascension Press.
- Attendance is important.
2nd Year Confirmation
- Meets weekly on Sunday mornings from 8:30-9:45am
- 2nd year Confirmation is typically those in 8th grade
- Chosen is the curriculum that we will be using
- Engages students not just through discussion and lessons but through experiences
- Attendance is important
- Our Sacrament 2 class is for children from 9-12th grade who have not taken the 2nd year Confirmation class.
Post Confirmed Classes
- Those who have been Confirmed- 9th grade and older
- Youth will take semester-style classes such as the cooking with the Saints, Catholic Social Teaching, and service opportunities, and be active in their community.
- Attendance will be taken
- Scheduled to meet on the first and third Wednesday of the month (same as Family Catechesis) from 7:30pm-9pm. (schedule and time could be altered due to the class and what is invovled)
Further questions? Please contact Michael at [email protected] for Family Catechesis or Embrey Pollet for any Sacraments (918) 272-3710. We would be glad to help!