What is Confirmation?
- The sacrament of confirmation strengthens the baptized and obliges them more firmly to be witnesses of Christ by word and deed and to spread and defend the faith. It imprints a character, enriches by the gift of the Holy Spirit the baptized continuing on the path of Christian initiation, and binds them more perfectly with the church. Cannon Law 879
- The reception of the sacrament of Confirmation is necessary for the completion of Baptismal graces. For, "by the sacrament of Confirmation, (the baptized) are more perfectly bound to the Church and are enriched with a special strength of the Holy Spirit. Hence they are, as true witnesses of Christ, more strictly obligated to spread and defend the faith by word or deed." [CCC 1285]
1st Year Confirmation
Students in 7th grade will be in 1st year Confirmation. Through their first year, they will begin to explore and learn more about what Confirmation is. Once they are done with 1st year, they will move up to 2nd year. The curriculum used is called Chosen by Ascension Press
- Classes meet weekly on Sunday mornings from 8:30-9:45 am.
- Students in 1st year Confirmation are asked to complete 8 hours of service towards others; 4 hours in the fall and 4 hours in the spring.
- Students will be guided as they think about their sponsor and saint, they will be asked to have their sponsor and saint chosen by the begining of their 2nd year.
2nd year Confirmation
Students who are in 8th grade and have completed 1st year Confirmation will be in 2nd year Confirmation. This year, they will continue to learn about their faith, but focus more on how to be disciples of Christ after Confirmation. They will learn about topics that will help them live their faith, defend their faith, and be true witnesses.
- Classes will meet weekly on Sunday mornings from 8:30-9:45 am.
- Students in 2nd year Confirmation are asked to complete 8 hours of community service; 4 hours in the fall and 4 hours in the spring.
- Students should have their sponsor and saint chosen and have the appropriate forms turned in by the beginning of the 2nd year(Sponsor/Saint form below).
- In the fall of their 2nd year they will have a meeting/interview with the pastor (guide for meeting below).
- Those in 2nd year Confirmation will be confirmed in the January of the spring semester.
- After Confirmation students will then be moved to post confirmed classes which meet on Wednesday evenings to continue their growth.
A Quick Note about Attendance
Attendance- Attendance in both 1st and 2nd year Confirmation is important. If students have to miss, parents are asked to inform Embrey or Jo in the parish office (918-272-3710). If a student misses 3 times this will prompt a phone call or letter reminding the importance of attandance. If a student continues to miss class it will result in a meeting to discuss the continuation in our program.
Mass Attendance/Reconciliation- Both Mass attendance and going to Confession regularly is important to our spiritual life. Please see that both you and your children are attending mass regularly and frequenting the Sacrament of Reconciliation.