What is Confirmation?
- The sacrament of confirmation strengthens the baptized and obliges them more firmly to be witnesses of Christ by word and deed and to spread and defend the faith. It imprints a character, enriches by the gift of the Holy Spirit the baptized continuing on the path of Christian initiation, and binds them more perfectly with the church. Cannon Law 879
- The reception of the sacreament of Confrimation is necessary for the completion of Baptismal graces. For, "by the sacrament of Confriamtion, (the baptized) are more perfectly bound to the Church and are enriched with a special strength of the Holy Spirit. Hence they are, as true witnesses of Christ, more strictly obligated to spread and defend the faith by word or deed." [CCC 1285]
***Please note we are in a transition period from moving our confirmation age from 11th grade to fall of 9th grade year.***
1st Year Confirmation
Student in 7th-10th grade will be in 1st year Confirmation. Through their first year they will begin to explore and learn more about what confrimation is. Once they are done with 1st year they will move onto 2nd year.
- Classes currently meet virtually via zoom with a small group. Class sizes are between 4-7 youth and the class lasts 30 minutes
- In addition to meeting with a small group online they students will complete 10 modules through St. Mary's Press program "Called to Mercy"
- Students in 1st year Confirmation are asked to complete 8 hours of service towards others; 4 hours in the fall and 4 hours in the spring
- Students will be guided as they think about their sponsor and saint, they will be asked to have their sponsor and saint chosen by the begining of their 2nd year
1st year Calendar- Spring 2021
2nd year Confirmation
Students who are in 11th grade and have completed 1srt year Confriamtion will be in 2nd year Confirmation. This year they will continue to learn about their faith, but focus more on how to be disciples of Christ after Confrimation. They will learn about topics that will help them live their faith, defend their faith, and be true witnesses.
- Classess currently meet in person on Wednesday evenings from 6:30pm-7:30pm with 2 catechists
- In addition to meeting in person students will complete 10 modules through St. Mary's Press program "Called to Mercy"
- Students in 2nd year Confirmation are asked to complete 8 hours of community service; 4 hours in the fall and 4 hours in the spring
- Students should have their sponsor and saint chosen and have the appropriate forms turned in by January 1st (Sponsor/Saint form below)
- In the spring of their 2nd year they will have a meeting/Interview with the pastor (guide for meeting below)
- Those in 2nd year Confriamtion will be confrimed in the spring of 2021
2nd year Calendar- Spring 2021
Attendance- Attendance in both 1st and 2nd year Confirmation is important. If students have to miss, parents are asked to in inform Katie or Kathy in the parish office (918-272-3710). If a student misses 3 times this will prompt a phone call or letter reminding the importance of attandance. If a students continues to meet it will result in a meeting to dicuss the continuing in our program.
Mass Attendance/Reconcilation- Both Mass attendance and going to Confession regularly is important to our spiritual life. There currently is no obligation to attend mass, however mass attendance is still imporant and should be done. Right now there are many different options such as online, in the parking lot, or in person.